Sunday 7 January 2007

Power cut...

As my sister Annie and I were walking down the street this evening all the house lights, street lights and pub lights etc turned off. Quite a mad sight when It is complelety dark outside. I've only really experienced that in the country! I could think of quite a few people I know in the streets surrounding me plugging away on their dissertations (although many with the battery back-up of a laptop). With a relatively new computer and a an external hard drive, a power cut is always my worst case scenario but obviously a possibility! I had saved my dissertation to my computer but when I returned to my room and all the power was back on, my hard-drive was still on. It could have theoretically wiped the whole thing. Luckily it didn't! Reminds me of being abroad when I was young with my parents and having to walk round in candle light. Me and my sister and brother would try and freak each other out, telling ghost stories and making silly sounds! Also makes me realise just how much we rely on electricity...fridges and freezers turn off, stereos, televisions, chargers, computers, printers, alarm clocks, ovens- all off. Pretty ridiculous really. Gonna be emailing my dissertation to myself every two minutes from now on...

No comments: